I bet everyone has some loose change lying around the house and I’m sure that everyone also has a muffin tin stored somewhere. If you do, you also have yourself a fun little learning game for you and your kiddo.
My daughter has been fascinated with coins and we have been on a big sorting kick. This was a fun game to get her thinking about coins in a couple different ways.This fun play-through-learning activity is designed to focus on different areas of learning.
YOU know your child best and can adapt this activity into what works for their age. At the end of the activity I let her pick out 5 of her favorite coins and we put them in her piggy bank.
- Muffin Tin
- Ask them what shape the coins are?
- Which coins are the biggest and which one are the smallest?
- Identify each coin “This is a quarter, this is a nickel and this is a dime” and then ask them to hand you one of each.
- Sort all of the coins into a large pile together.
- Take different coins and place them in the muffin tin. Then ask your child to sort the remaining coins